Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Family of Tri-Atheletes

As many of you already know due to my multiple posts on facebook, my family (minus Trevor, but he will do the next one) recently participated in a triathalon. Let me tell you, it was AWESOME! We went down to Sand Hollow for this Tri. It was lovely weather! Couldn't ask for a better day!



This is us before the race. Except Bridger, he had already completed his kids Tri.
Bridger was first up to race. Let me tell you, this kid is an animal! I don't know if it's due to the fact that he is 8 (almost 9), but he can go forever! The endurance amazes me. He did so well!

Bridger with Brock and Dad before his race.


Getting ready for the swim. He was shivering! Cute swim cap too huh?


Follows in my dads footsteps and kills it on the bike.


Finishing the race. There is a video of him moonwalking across the finish. I'll have to try and upload it. He is defintely a classic Barton.


Mom and Bridger.


Thumbs up to my most favorite youngest brother I have.
 So Bridger was the first to go, and looking at these pictures, you believe me when I say he killed it. Not only is he a better swimmer than me but he is also a lot cuter! Love him!

Brock was up next. This kid amazes me to no end. He dedicated so much time to train for this. He did an Olympic distance. Which is double what Mason and I did. Yeah, he swam a mile in like 30 minutes. It took me 26 minutes to backstroke half mile, so that tells you how fast he is. He was my main inspriation when I was doing my race. Brock came in 4th in his age catergory! Incredible right?? I know.

Ready to hit the swim.


Finisher!
 My dad was next up. As all of you know, and should know, he is and Ironman! So basically he rules the world. He is the one who talked us into doing this as a family. I'm so grateful he did because it will always be a great memory in my mind. I love you dad!


Dad coming into the finish!

Next up is Mason. All I can say about him is 'What the heck?!'. Ok so Mason decides to do this tri, and trains maybe twice for it. And guess what he does? Finishes 3rd in his age group!!! I swear he is some genetic freak. So basically he killed it. Imagine if he would have really trained.... yikes!

Right after he finshed.

Oh hey, he just decides to podium. Whatever, no big deal.
 Next up was me. Oh boy. So first off lets start by saying I did not train for this sucker nearly enough. I swam maybe twice in preperation. My dad had taken me to the Spanish Fork Res to practice then quickly decided I should probably start in a pool. So I went swimming once at Gold Gym, where I managed to do one lap with out stopping. Needless to say I was freaking out for the swim.

Getting ready to swim. Yes wetsuits are super flattering.

 So I watch all my brothers and my dad take off for the swim. Meanwhile in my head I'm having a debate on how much I value my life because I'm pretty sure I'm going to drown. But of course, if I quit, I would never hear the end of it. So finally it was my turn to swim. I jump in the water and come to find out my wetsuit was exceptionally bouyant. I started thinking that this wasn't going to be too bad after all. So I go to the back of the pack of swimmers to avoid being swam over. The gun sounds and were off. I start swimming like a normal swimmer, and I'm thinking "Oh yeah this is great!" then I got some water in my nose so I had to stop. This is where my genius idea of backstroking came into play. So guess what I did guys? Backstroked that entire half mile! Aside for swimming in a zig-zag pattern and nearly losing my timing chip, I made it! Except bad news, when I got out of the water, I was BEAT! I couldn't even get my legs to run me to the transition area. Oh and also, I got out of the water to see a teary eyed Bridger who was concerened I had drown due to how long it took me to swim. Yeah, I know.

So I took my sweet old time changing into my riding gear. I really didn't think the ride would be that bad. And it wasn't for the most part until..... Monster Hill. I was riding along all merrily until, it came into view around a curve in the road, the Monster Hill! I'm not kidding you guys, this thing was like Mt. Everest. (Ok I am kidding you). But it was big. I thought to myself "Oh shoot, of course they would put this is in the course." So I started to make my way up the Monster. I was going so slow up that sucker I was surprised I didn't tip over on my bike. I kept thinking in my head "Good job legs! I love you so much. Just keep pushing a little farther. You're doing so great!" Haha! My motivation to not get off and walk it was first, the photographer that was taking pictures of all the athletes, and secondly my brothers. If I got off and walked, I would never hear the end of it. So I'm going up this hill getting passed left and right and singing 'Victory, victory' in my head. I finally reached the top! It was glorious, I felt like I had accomplished so much in my life right at that moment. Sweet sweet victory. So after the hill it just loops you back and the hill isn't nearly as steep coming up the other side.


This is me riding. Look at the beautiful lake!

Next, it was time for the run. Da da dum. See but running is my best event! I was so excited to run. I thought I was going to catch all these dang athletes if it's the last thing I do. So I pedal my bike up to the transition. Once I got off my bike I knew that was never going to happen. I couldn't feel my legs, they had turned to lead! I remember thinking "Legs where did you go?  Why are you doing this? We love running, remember?!" They did not remember. I started running that yes, looked a lot more like shuffling. My calfs were on the verge of cramping. Luckily the aid station had water and gatorade. I took one of both. Needless to say that was the longest 5K I had ever run. I finally shuffled up the last hill towards the finish line to see my whole family done with the race. I was just relieved I hadn't drown and survived. It was so great to finish!!

Every day I'm shufflin'


Love my family.


Did you get your tickets to the gun show?

Best Friends.
Also, I can't leave out my lovely mother. She was our best supporter! And might I add, lovely camera lady? Thanks to her we have all these photos.

Mom and I watching the kids race.
All in all this was one of the best experiences I've had. I'm so grateful I got to share it with my family. Hope we can all do it again next year.

XOXO,
Nichole

Ps, this is the song I've been loving lately. This version.

No comments:

Post a Comment