Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Chile Missionary

If you couldn't have guessed from my recent posts to social media, my brother Mason has begun to serve a mission. He is serving in the Vina del Mar, Chile mission. Pretty crazy right? I'm going to have a Spanish speaking compadre. I feel like that will come in handy. Guys, sending a sibling off on a mission is hard. It's hard because you want to be selfish and keep your sibling with you, but you know they are doing what's right and what is asked of them. It's a weird feeling. For the week prior to Mason leaving I was already feeling anxious about it. I had cried like 5 times already, including a wonderful performance of a laugh/cry/almost sob experience I had the weekend before he left. It was wonderful ;) I  think what makes it hard is the actual anticipation. The waiting. I heard somewhere once that it's not the days or hours before that makes the waiting hard, it's the mere minutes and seconds before that make you feel really anxious. This was pretty true.

Mason and I have a great relationship and I'm pretty sure we are they only two people in the world that understand each other's humor 100%. Or we can automatically think of what the other person is quoting in their mind from a movie, or really just being super weird. It's a great relationship to share. We have grown to be best friends. So needless to say, it was incredibly hard to have to say goodbye to my friend for two years. That's what I kept thinking about, two whole years without Mason sitting next to me laughing. The anticipation was killing me.

Finally the day came to drop him off at the airport. We had to wake up at 4 a.m. to leave by 5, and be at the airport by 6. Earrrrrrly! Well, good news, we made it on time. That is a huge accomplishment for the Barton family. We all went to check in his bags, and then it was time to say goodbye. Ah man, the mere seconds. I remember as we were walking over to security, Mason said "No crying, I mean it." in my mind I thought "Yeah, that ain't gonna happen." But I tried to pull it together nonetheless. I was doing really well for about 10 seconds. But when he turned to hug me, tears started streaming. I kept apologizing, I was really happy and really sad(selfish) that he was leaving. After saying goodbye to everyone he got in line for security and was off! Just like that. Gone to Chile for two years.

These two years are going to change his life. I know because that's what it did for my older brother Trevor. I'm so excited to get letters from Mason, and here of his progress. I can't wait for him to grow and be shaped into a man.

I know this church is true. I wouldn't be able to send my brothers off on missions if I didn't. I'm so grateful to have the knowledge of eternal families and the blessings that come with that knowledge. Mason  will do wonderful things :) I love my family.

Ah! Look how cute he is! 

See ya in two!


Nichole

P.S. if you want to keep updated on Mason, his blog is http://masonbarton.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment